Skip to main navigation menu Skip to main content Skip to site footer
×
Español (España) | English
Editorial
Home
Indexing
Original

Scientific production of Bolivian universities

By
Jhossmar Cristians Auza-Santiváñez ,
Jhossmar Cristians Auza-Santiváñez

Universidad Mayor de San Andrés. Hospital del Gran Chaco “Fray Quebracho”. Tarija, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
María Victoria Santivañez-Cabezas ,
María Victoria Santivañez-Cabezas

Ministerio de Educación. Unidad Educativa “San Juan”. Tarija, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Aaron Eduardo Carvajal Tapia ,
Aaron Eduardo Carvajal Tapia

Universidad Mayor de San Simón, Facultad de Medicina. Hospital de la Mujer "Dr. Percy Boland Rodríguez" Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Boris Adolfo Llanos Torrico ,
Boris Adolfo Llanos Torrico

Universidad Autónoma “Tomás Frías. Potosí, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Germán José Martín Rico Ramallo ,
Germán José Martín Rico Ramallo

Universidad Privada del Valle, UNIVALLE. Cochabamba, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar
Judith Marlene Aliaga Ramos ,
Judith Marlene Aliaga Ramos

Ministerio de Educación, Programa de Post-alfabetización. La Paz, Bolivia

Search this author on:

PubMed | Google Scholar

Abstract

Introduction: Higher education is undergoing significant changes due to the existence of agents promoting substantial changes in universities.
Objective: To evaluate the scientific production of Bolivian universities in the Scopus database through a bibliometric study.
Methods: A descriptive bibliometric study was conducted. The time period analyzed was documents with publication dates between January 1, 2000, and December 31, 2020.
Results: Private universities predominated in Bolivia with 54%, and the remaining 46% were public universities. The private university with the highest scientific production was the Universidad Católica San Pablo with 5.3%, followed by the Universidad Privada de Bolivia with 4.4%. Most articles were original, with 1,797 documents, 43,141 citations, and 24.01 citations per document, followed by conference articles.
Conclusions: The scientific production of Bolivian universities in Scopus during the 2000-2020 period had much lower indicators than expected, with low productivity and scientific performance. The universities with the highest scientific production over the 20-year period were the Universidad Mayor de San Andrés, followed by the Universidad Mayor de San Simón. The number of published documents had a growth trend over time. Original articles predominated, and the predominant language of publication was English. According to the research area, the best indicators were in agriculture, social sciences, and medicine.

How to Cite

1.
Auza-Santiváñez JC, Santivañez-Cabezas MV, Carvajal Tapia AE, Llanos Torrico BA, Rico Ramallo GJM, Aliaga Ramos JM. Scientific production of Bolivian universities. Data and Metadata [Internet]. 2022 Mar. 29 [cited 2024 Jun. 24];2:26. Available from: https://dm.saludcyt.ar/index.php/dm/article/view/26

The article is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License. Unless otherwise stated, associated published material is distributed under the same licence.

Article metrics

Google scholar: See link

Metrics

Metrics Loading ...

The statements, opinions and data contained in the journal are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publisher and the editor(s). We stay neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.